How Do you answer this Question?

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
JerseyMo

How Do you answer this Question?

#1 Post by JerseyMo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:41 am

The following is a very valid question asked by many prospective buyers.

" Is the piece fully serviced? What's the -/+ timing? "

Typically my initial response is reply with a return question such as: "What do you consider to be a full service and what tolerance to time variation is acceptable"?

But the last time I came up with this response when asked about one of my Timex restoration.

the movement has undergone a service as outlined in the Timex technical manual for this model.
QC testing is a 24 hr observation of continued operation and time matched to a quartz clock.
If the timing is within a few minutes it is considered acceptable by most vintage horological collectors.

Thank You for the query.

Have I become an EBay curmudgeon?

How do you reply to such a question or what response would you consider to be acceptable?
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

GJH

Re: How Do you answer this Question?

#2 Post by GJH » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:41 am
The following is a very valid question asked by many prospective buyers.
" Is the piece fully serviced? What's the -/+ timing? "
Typically my initial response is reply with a return question such as: "What do you consider to be a full service and what tolerance to time variation is acceptable"?
But the last time I came up with this response when asked about one of my Timex restoration.
the movement has undergone a service as outlined in the Timex technical manual for this model.
QC testing is a 24 hr observation of continued operation and time matched to a quartz clock.
If the timing is within a few minutes it is considered acceptable by most vintage horological collectors.
Thank You for the query.

Have I become an EBay curmudgeon?
How do you reply to such a question or what response would you consider to be acceptable?
The biggest mistake folks make when buying a vintage watch is this:
"If the timing is within a few minutes it is considered acceptable by most vintage horological collectors"

As long as this is in there you have made it CLEAR (I would put it in caps and bold to be honest)
The factory specs part is also important, but some folks just can't grasp the 'Vintage Time" aspect,
no matter how well the watch was serviced!

We are in a society where folks use an Iphone to tell time, and if the time on the wrist isn't perfect, they freak out.

The best listings STRESS this!

Just my 2 cents.

G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 am

yes, If one is more concerned about keeping track of time, it typically passes them by!

hmm - maybe had a "Jersey Mo-ment" there.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

gatorcpa

#4 Post by gatorcpa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 pm

I don’t think the above statement is always true. A lot depend on the movement. On a older pin-pallet Timex, I’m with you. On a 1950’s Omega Constellation Chronometer, absolutely not.
gatorcpa

JerseyMo

#5 Post by JerseyMo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:05 am

gatorcpa wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 pm
I don’t think the above statement is always true. A lot depend on the movement. On a older pin-pallet Timex, I’m with you. On a 1950’s Omega Constellation Chronometer, absolutely not.
gatorcpa
yes, the movement would have to come into play.