1971 Longines Ultronic 8533

Vintage Misc Watch Discussion Forum
jkpenrod

1971 Longines Ultronic 8533

#1 Post by jkpenrod » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:40 am

I just got this back from service today. I found this in a second-hand/“antiques” shop while out with my wife one day. As she was browsing I decided to rummage through a box of watches they had on the counter labeled “needs battery”. I just nonchalantly rummaged through and found this along with a 1973 Hamilton Courier Autodate (automatic). I asked how much, they took a quick look and said $20 for the Hamilton and $30 for this beauty. After some careful consideration I decided to not walk away.

This piece has the 6312 tuning fork movement with the nice sweep second. The case has a starburst finish to it and it 10k (yellow) gold filled. The dial has a silver finish with a starburst effect stemming from the Ultronic logo at the 6 o’clock spot. The hour markers are raised forks in gold tone. The second hand is black. It did not have a strap and the only one I had that fit was this black one. I am not keen on that look and am open to suggestions.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

SFC

Re: 1971 Longines Ultronic 8533

#2 Post by SFC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Nice watch... I like the ESA tuning fork better than the accutron movements. The hour markers are unique on this model!

If you don't like the look with a strap you can try to find a gold filled adjustable bracelet to pair with the watch. These are available in different styles and from multiple manufacturers.
The link is to a stainless bracelet but its just to give you an idea.. you can find this bracelet in gold filled
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113442821208?V ... 3442821208

dkeefe

Re: 1971 Longines Ultronic 8533

#3 Post by dkeefe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Great watch, great story about how you found it! I paired a blue watch strap on my 61 seamaster (stainless steel with champagne dial) and the watchmaker frowned until he put it on - then he loved it. The moral of the story is go to a watch maker and try a few things that you would never expect to try