Stem won't go in Hamilton

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
semroc

Stem won't go in Hamilton

#1 Post by semroc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 pm

I got this Lamar off ebay. Its running, but i can't get the stem in to set it. I've tried turning the screw just a bit to allow it to set in but it's not working. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Could it have been unscrewed too much, and now i need to take the hands off, and try to put it back in? I'm operating on nervous novice ability. Thanks, Eli.
0816171538b.jpg
0816171538b.jpg (999.78 KiB) Viewed 181 times

prospex

Re: Stem won't go in Hamilton

#2 Post by prospex » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:58 am

I'm thinking that the setting lever or whatever it's called (something that holds the stem in but at the same time pivots in and out or watch keeping/time setting mode) maybe have slid off the little grove of the stem where it's supposed to stay.

One way is to remove the hands and dial and work it through from that side but on many movements it can be done from the back side as well. Could give it a try from the back, first.

mrcardigan

#3 Post by mrcardigan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am

If undone too much, the set lever might have come off, in which case yes you will need to remove hands and dial - something that you will want to learn how to do at some point anyway, I am sure! :)

Sometimes, an additional anticlockwise half turn or two will be enough, with a bit of pressure on the detent screw, to get the stem in. Then it's just a case of it being in the right location when retightening.

Good luck :)

Andy C

semroc

#4 Post by semroc » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for the great info. I've been trying to get it back in with the hands off. It hasnt worked yet. Good news is I found the second hand that flew away. Its currently all torn apart. Finding rusted parts in there. The rust might be keeping it from working right. I'll keep trying to get it working. Thanks again.