Vantage wristwatch disassembly question

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
henry finley

Vantage wristwatch disassembly question

#1 Post by henry finley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 pm

I am posting photos of my watch labeled only as "Vantage 17 Jewel" from about 1970 or so. Watch repair isn't my hobby, but I have worked on enough camera shutters to be able to handle this. Specifically, the watch is stopped. That's all I know till I get inside. So how do I remove the back cover? Is it screw-off or pop-off? Thank you.
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (933.65 KiB) Viewed 187 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (696.73 KiB) Viewed 187 times

JerseyMo

Re: Vantage wristwatch disassembly question

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:47 pm

looks to be snap on . screw down covers have dimples or notches where a tool would be inserted or used to grab.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

SFC

#3 Post by SFC » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:23 pm

maybe front loader (split stem) if it doesn't look like the back comes off

henry finley

#4 Post by henry finley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Well one thing's for sure--that back AIN'T coming off by any of the youtube videos method. Not unless I can get a crowbar under there.

441victor

#5 Post by 441victor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Rather that trying more aggressive methods to pop the back off, it would make sense to remove the crystal first using a lift and see if the opening in the bezel is large enough for the dial to pass through. If so you may be able to see if the stem has a joint just under the edge of the dial. There should be several posts here or on the web that show the types of two piece stems and how to get them apart. If you don't see a joint then you can try applying more force to the back. Most pop off backs have an obvious gap to apply a tool. You just have to look closely all around the edge. Maybe someone with experience with this model will give you better advise. Joel

henry finley

#6 Post by henry finley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:58 pm

I am hoping for someone with knowledge about this particular Vantage. And I'm hoping Santa Claus will bring me a million dollars with equal belief it might happen. I do know that after probably 45 years of lack of use, it appears the thing has now been keeping time for almost 2 hours, which is a vast improvement since I dug it out of my old watch tray last night. I've been rather more persistent today in my attention to it trying to keep it running. Being a self-winder I shook it half to death, as the stem-winding method wasn't obviously getting results. Tonight, the stem is much more limber in pulling it out to set time. I'm wearing it to bed, so I suppose tomorrow if it's running I may be home free. I had dropped my Hamilton Thinomatic a while back and the second hand came off, so I've switched back to this Vantage till I fix the Hamilton. They are quite alike in appearance and operation. Both of these were my Dad's he had bought off our neighbor back in the day, who was a Hamilton salesman. I don't think anybody can honestly say anything disparaging about a Hamilton.

retroworx

#7 Post by retroworx » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 am

henry finley wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 pm
Watch repair isn't my hobby, but I have worked on enough camera shutters to be able to handle this.
I admire your confidence. :lol:
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

JerseyMo

#8 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 am

henry finley wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:58 pm
And I'm hoping Santa Claus will bring me a million dollars with equal belief it might happen....

Santa Claus wears a 1958 Timex Marlin :)
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

henry finley

#9 Post by henry finley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:09 pm

retroworx wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 am
henry finley wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 pm
Watch repair isn't my hobby, but I have worked on enough camera shutters to be able to handle this.
I admire your confidence. :lol:
Thank you. I am quite confident it will be a piece of cake, IF I could just figure out how to get it open in the first place. Anybody who can work on Hasselblad cameras and Compur shutters like i can, can handle this just fine. If only I could just get it open...
In the meantime, it did run all night, or at least till 20 minutes before I woke up.It's running right now, after another good shaking. But it seems to be falling behind a minute after about an hour, not because I think it's "slow-running". I think its having stops every so often, seen, until some random movement of my arm jump starts it.

henry finley

#10 Post by henry finley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm

...having stops every so often, UNSEEN, until some...